What is the legislation for fire extinguishers?
- Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 states all businesses must make a provision for portable fire extinguishers, this is covered in articles 13 and 17. It is estimated that 88% of small fires are put out using extinguishers before the fire brigade is called out or even arrives.
How often do my extinguishers need to be maintained?
- Once every 12 months in accordance to BS5306-3-2017 by a competent person and monthly visual inspections by the responsible person.
What is included in the maintenance?
- Extinguishers are maintained to BS 5306-3, this involves replacement of all small parts, tamper tags, hose/horns O’rings, pressure gauge testing, damage assessment. Pressure testing or replacement units are also carried out if required. A certificate of inspection and a up to date fire equipment inventory are issued on completion.
My insurance has requested I use a BAFE contractor, am I required to?
- Not a question which comes up often but the simple answer is No. Firstly we are not a registered BAFE contractor. Secondly BAFE is not a legal requirement to service or supply fire extinguishers. Some insurance companies may request you to use a BAFE contractor but with a simple phone call stating it is not a legal requirement will often change the outcome, but always double check first. Using a BAFE contractor will certainly impact the servicing and extinguisher costs. We provide you with the highest standard of service which is cost effective with no hidden charges. Our engineers hold BAFE recognised competency certificates. We are Safe Contractor accredited and UK Fire Association member
My fire alarm company says, they will carry out extinguisher maintenance for free?
- In our experience some companies will not carry out fire extinguisher maintenance correctly or in accordance with BS5306-3-2017 and will ask the alarm engineers to date the extinguishers whilst on site without replacing any small parts. This may cost you further when extinguishers require replacing or when issues are raised. Use the given rule,
If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is.
Why choose Advanced Fire Protection (Rochdale) Ltd?
- We are local family business providing a reliable friendly service at competitive rates. Our engineers have undertaken a BAFE examination course in BS5306-3-2017 commissioning and maintenance and BS5306-8-2012 selection and installation and required to take refresher courses every 3 years. We are covered up to 5 million public & products liability insurance (including inefficacy) and also members of The UK Fire Association
- Safe Contractor Accredited
- Ongoing customer support
- No hidden charges
- No contract
What benefit does, fire extinguisher maintenance give me and my business?
- This gives you full compliance to your legal obligation outlined in the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and also any insurance requirements. It also provides peace of mind, in case you may become unfortunate enough to use them.
How long do my extinguishers last, before they need replacing?
- All extinguishers with the exception of Co2 units, need replacing or discharging every 5yrs. Co2 extinguishers are required to be replaced every 10 years, either for a new unit or an overhaul unit. Other factors may include there location, fire risks, damage, misuse etc
Cant find the answer to your question? Please fill out the form below and our team will be happy to help
We serve all Greater Manchester areas including Rochdale, Bury, Oldham and also operate a 50 mile radius within the North West. This ensures a speedy and efficient service. Please contact our team for more information.
53 Rooley Moor Rochdale OL12 7AX
Registered in England:
Company Number 10337978